[GEMPAK #KRJ-399065]: Configuring GEMPAK/NAWIPS for Local Model

Brent,

The PD# is the "Product Definition Template" number. This allows you
the flexibility to define a parameter uniquely depending on the
sampling, average, accumulation etc.

For example, you will see for precipitation:

000 001 008 008 Total precipitation              kg m**-2             P--M
       0     -0.01
000 001 008 009 Precipitation Probability        %                    PP--
       0  -9999.00
000 001 008 019 Precipitation Below Normal       %                    PPBN
       0  -9999.00
000 001 008 029 Precipitation Near Normal        %                    PPNN
       0  -9999.00
000 001 008 039 Precipitation Above Normal       %                    PPAN
       0  -9999.00

The precipitation rate error you have is that the value of "8" specifies the
mean precipitation
rate over the period, whereas, if yours is "0", you would need to add an entry
for
an instantaneous precipitation rate which is valid at the one moment in time.
It can have the same
name as another- but is not restricted to that as if the PD# were ignored.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Thanks again, Steve.  I have successfully edited the  model_res.tbl and
> datatype.tbl files and have been able to display some of the grids.  One
> more simple question:
>
> In the g2varswmo1.tbl file, can you tell me what the fourth column
> ("PD#") is supposed to represent?  Despite the lables at the top, it is
> not clear.  I have figured out that the first entry is the discipline
> number, the second is the parameter category, the third is the parameter
> ID within the category, but the fourth column is not clear.  It looks to
> be 0 for many entries, but for others it is not.  For example, my data
> has precipitation rate (discipline 0, category 1, parameter 7).  But, I
> am getting errors reported from dcgrib2 like:
>
> .. Could not determine parameter name 0 1 7 0 [0]
>
> In the g2varswmo1.tbl, Precipitation rate has an "8" for that fourth
> entry, so I suspect this might be the problem.
>
> Thanks again for all your help!  Your few pointers got me a lot further
> very quickly!
>
> Regards,
> Brent

Ticket ID: KRJ-399065