20060607: color tables in gdcntr

Megan,

The graphic programs allocate 32 colors defined in
$GEMTBL/colors/coltbl.xwp which you reference by index in
the parameters such as FLINE, COLORS, LINE. The image color tables may
define up to 95 colors (though many use fewer values) through the
$GEMTBL/luts tables.

You can modify a copy of coltbl.xwp in a local directory to
define the color RGB values that your FLINE indicies will
reference in gdcntr. Alternatively, you could use gpcolor
to define RGB values for a session.

When a new XW (or GF/GIF) device is started, it will use the
coltbl.xwp file in the local directory if it exists before looking
in the $GEMTBL/colors directory. You can approximate the color LUT
for the grid contour fills though you will have to condense the
number of color ranges since the ir_upc2.tbl defines 95 color values.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support