[GEMPAK #CFB-418091]: case study usage for NMAP2/GARP applications

Paul,

If your case study file directory mirrors your current data directory (eg
hopefully Y2K 4 digit years ...some of those cases in the 90's will probably
need
some file name tweaking), then to run a case study environment is just
a matter of creating a short script which sets the GEMDATA, MODEL, SAT, RAD
environmental variables for the shell  (and optionally then fires up ntl).
Do that after the user has already sourced Gemenviron so that
the new settings overwrite the data locations defined in Gemenviron, but
all the other GEMTBL, GEMEXE, GEMHLP etc variables remain from
the Gemenviron configuration.

The $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl file and $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults
files use the environmental variables above to make the data tree relative
so that your can just redefine the variables before launching the application
so that it looks doen the case study tree. Your Old Garp_defaults may
still be using the $HDS directory for model data (recall old garp
required all grid data to be placed in a single directory, but
as models have gotten bigger and some now even put each forecast hour in a
separate file-
the mode current versions havd updated Garp to use the datatype.tbl template
file so that each model can be in a unique directory ie $MODEL/nam, $MODEL/gfs
etc.).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> Hi - I've been searching the support archives, documentation, and local
> talents here at FSU but have become exhausted, as perhaps my question is
> too basic.  So, my question is what do I have to do to allow NMAP2 or
> other GUI applications to pull up data from a data location that is not
> the default current data location?  We have all of our case study files,
> including COMET and otherwise, in a directory named
> /u4p/casestudies/<name>.  Contents of these subdirectories pretty much
> mirror current data subdirectory names, so from there I'd probably be ok.
>
> Our local expertise here has no longer knows how to use a CASE variable
> or anything that looks familiar to me based on my experience - is there
> a support document that I'm missing that explains this?
>
> Our facility is currently at 5.8.2, if that matters on Sun and Linux
> systems - all we can get is current data.  But trying some of the old
> tricks that I learned when GARP was first at hand don't seem to work any
> longer for me, such as setting special environment variables and
> parameters, which always seemed too complicated anyway, but it has been
> a while since I've used these apps for case study work.  Thanks in
> advance, it would help a bunch of us if we could get this answered.
>
> Paul Ruscher/Meteorology

Ticket ID: CFB-418091
Department: Support GEMPAK