[GEMPAK #GHJ-183605]: time interpolation of gfs grid files (special case)

You can decode the data to a single GEMPAK file, regardless of whether the data
is in separate GRIB files, or you can merge the data to a single (eg GDMOD)
GEMPAK grid file, or you can do calculations on grids from separate files
(eg using the '+n' syntax in GDFILE).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> Hello,
>
> I am writing to ask if what I am trying to do is possible in gempak.
>
> My goal is to time interpolate the gfs grid data I have (which is at 3
> hour intervals) to intervals of 1 hour. I found a sample script you
> had supplied to another person who wanted to do this with nam grid
> data. I understand the script and how to apply it to the gfs data, but
> I am working under a special case. I believe the script assumes that
> the different time intervals are all within one grid (.gem) file.
> However, I am using backed up data that is in the file format:
>
> fh.0000_tl.press_gr.onedeg and fh.0003_tl.press_gr.onedeg
>
> for each run of the model (in order to get 3 hour intervals).
>
> When I decode these files they become .gem files with the associated
> date and time. However, each becomes a different .gem file. I figure
> for the time interpolation I either need a way to interpolate between
> two separate grid files using gddiag, or I need a way to merge the
> grid files together and then use the same basic script that you
> provided to the other user. Are either of these methods possible in
> gempak? I hope this all makes sense.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Steven Felker

Ticket ID: GHJ-183605