[Support #VSU-967482]: Plotting OMEGA

Brian,
You must be scubscribed to the gembud email list in order to post a message to
that list. The email address you sent the post from is not subscribed to the
list.

You mention that your plotted function is mul(omeg,-1) to flip the sign,
but you did not mention, nor show, what your SCALE value in your restore
script.

It does sound like you have not set your SCALE value, but rather are getting a
deault
range according to the data values in the displayed region (eg SCALE = 999 or
SCALE = )
That would explain the chyange in behavior when you zzom in as the range of data
become more consistent.

Check your restore file, and if you still have questions, please send that as
well.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Good day Gembud's.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had a problem in viewing 700mb omega at
> various time steps in the 40km NAM-WRF-NMM.
>
> I have the omega values set to be color filled and multiply it by -1 so that
> upward vertical velocities are shown as positive values.
>
> This problem seems to occur when there are large omega values.  I will see
> an abrupt change from one forecast time step to the next.  It's almost like
> the values are scaled back to lower values in order to plot them.  For
> example, there's are omega values of 25-30 tracking across Kansas at a
> specific time step.  The next time step then shows values of 2-6.  This is
> especially prevalent when viewing the CONUS.  If you zoom in, it is not as
> prevalent.  The frequency of this problem has increased greatly after the
> switch from NAM-Eta to NAM-WRF-NMM.  Prior to the switch, I saw this problem
> occur a few times.
>
> I use the same 700_omega restore file for NAM, GFS and RUC.  Only the NAM
> has this problem...the others are fine.
>
> This omega problem is carried over into my isentropic conversion grids as
> well...for the exact same time steps.
>
> Any ideas on resolving this issue would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Koochel
>
> ------=_Part_181540_32609904.1156519861552
>
> Good day Gembud's.<br><br>I was wondering if anyone has had a problem in
> viewing 700mb omega at various time steps in the 40km NAM-WRF-NMM.&nbsp;
> so that upward vertical velocities are shown as positive values.
> I will see an abrupt change from one forecast time step to the next.&nbsp;
> It's almost like the values are scaled back to lower values in order to plot
> them.&nbsp; For example, there's are omega values of 25-30 tracking across
> Kansas at a specific time step.&nbsp; The next time step then shows values of
> 2-6.&nbsp; This is especially prevalent when viewing the CONUS.&nbsp; If you
> zoom in, it is not as prevalent.&nbsp; The frequency of this problem has
> increased greatly after the switch from NAM-Eta to NAM-WRF-NMM.&nbsp; Prior
> to the switch, I saw this problem occur a few times.
> Only the NAM has this problem...the others are fine.&nbsp; <br><br>This omega
> problem is carried over into my isentropic conversion grids as well...for the
> exact same time steps.
>
> ------=_Part_181540_32609904.1156519861552--

Ticket ID: VSU-967482
Department: Support GEMPAK