[GEMPAK #XAX-856536]: GDCROSS overlay with NEXR2RHI

> Hi,
>
> I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate list, but I am trying to overlay
> model data on a radar cross section. I converted my model data to height
> coordinates so it's a 1:1 comparison. I've attached an image of what I get.
> I've also attached the script I'm using to generate the image. Note that the
> radar images and model images match great along the bottom and right side,
> but not the top and left side. How can I get the ploting window (the box) to
> be the exact same dimensions? Thanks!
> Dave

Dave,

Unfortunately, you used a previous support ticket id to follow up with an
unrelated subject, so I have split this to
a new ticket ID for this thread. Please use this new ticket ID regarding
GDCROSS overlays with NEXR2RHI.

When you overlay GDCROSS and NEXR2RHI, you must make sure that you have set the
same PTYPE ratio and margin
values, otherwise the programs will set their own margins (and GDCRSS has to
allow room for vectors at the right).

Using a common entry such as:
PTYPE    = lin/.8/5;5;5;5
will use the same margin widths for both plots, and your axes will line up.

Now, you also have to add the station hight to the axis so that both sets of
axes will line up (since I designed NEXR2RHI
to always place the radar location at the bottom of the yaxis). The NEXR2RHI
does not attempt to determine radar dome elevation
and add that to sea level.

To line up GDCROSS using model grids on HGHT vertical coordinates with the
radar location (eg FTG which is 1709m asl),
you will need your YAXIS for both plots to be YAXIS=1709/11709. That ensures
that the radar plot axis will match your GDCROSS
contours in that range.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: XAX-856536