[GEMPAK #DTT-795941]: RE: graph-to-grid for RUC_20 grid working on futurama (fwd)

Jeff,

I looked at your VGF file, and it containes a single 0.01" contour value, which
can be ambigous
if directional lines (DLINES) is not used.

I used your grphgd.tbl entries and added
DLINES=yes;yes|0.005
The result matches the plot of your desired output.

The filled contours here look slightly better with the hole in NY state if the
lowset threshold is
0.005 rather than 0.01 when a high resolution grid is used.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.  The vgf generated by the gdplot execution is
> attached.  The gdplot setting did have a "-1" for label in LINE parameter
> for this gdplot execution.  Any additional help is much appreciated.
>
> ######converting grd###
> $GEMEXE/gdplot << _EOF_
> GDATTIM=F001
> GLEVEL=0
> GVCORD=none
> GDFILE=${GDFILE}
> GFUNC=mul(pxxm,0.03937)
> GAREA=RUC_20
> DEVICE=vg|${vgfile}
> CTYPE=c
> CINT=0.01;0.10;0.25;0.50;1.0/0.01/1.0
> LINE=5/1/2/-1/2/0.1
> PROJ=
> PANEL=0
> CONTUR=0/2
> GVECT=
> WIND=
> SKIP=
> IJSKIP=
> FINT=
> FLINE=
> CLEAR=
> SCALE=0
> MSCALE=
> MAP=
> run
> exit
> _EOF_
>

> Jeffrey M. Vukovich
> Senior Research Scientist
> Baron Advanced Meteorological Systems
> 920 Main Campus Drive
> Suite 101
> Raleigh, NC 27606
> Phone:  (919) 424-4442
> Mobile: (256) 541-4138
> Fax:    (919) 424-4401
> Email: address@hidden
>
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> > Jeff,
> >
> > Looking at your VGF lines in white, it looks like you have line breaks in
> > your
> > contours where the labels are. When generating a VGF for graph to grid, use
> > the
> > label "-n" setting in the LINE parameter to prevent line breaks. You would
> > want "-1" in your instance to label every contour line you specify without
> > breaking the contour line (eg, closed contours will be closed).
> >
> > If this isn't your case, can you send me the settings you used with
> > gdplot/gdplot2?
> > And, if all else fails, your vgf output.....
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a question regarding contour intervals when doing the graph-to-grid
> > > procedure.  I used gdplot to create QPF intervals (0.01, 0.10, 0.25, 0.5,
> > > 1.0) and to create a vgf file.  When I go into NMAP and do the grphgd
> > > procedure with this vgf file, I get some strangeness with the lowest
> > > contour interval (see Before.jpg attached).  If we make a big zero contour
> > > around the entire grid area, we get the desired behavior (see After.jpg).
> [...]

Ticket ID: DTT-795941
Department: Support GEMPAK