[GEMPAK #XTW-228983]: plotting aircraft data on a cross section

Brian,

No, GEMPAK won't complain about that. To verify,
I ran SNLIST with "LEVELS=500" to output just 500 mb data to
a file, then I created a new sounding file using that output with SNEDIT.

SNCROSS is happy to use that data to plot wind barbs at data level. You of
course can't do contour fills with a single level, and you will want to
set BORDER so that it does not fill the background below your lowest data level,
eg: BORDER   = 2;3;0 for example.

You do need data at 4 locations at a minimum for SNCROSS I believe (generally
not
a problem if you are talking about aircraft tracks).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Thanks, Steve!
>
> One more question; if I were to format the aircraft data points as
> separate
> soundings, will sncross complain, given that the soundings would only
> have one level each?
>
> Brian
>

> On Feb 12, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> > GEMPAK doesn't have the ability to plot individual point
> > observations on a vertical
> > grid. You can match up sncross and gdcross output if margins, xaxis
> > and yaxis
> > are the same, but sncross only contours SNPARM data and plots the
> > wind barbs/arrows.
> >
> > I'm reading your question as the need to plot the actual
> > observations (and not contours)
> > onto the generated grid from gdcross. This would require developing
> > a new program that
> > would plot data values onto the grid (eg a modified gdcross/sncross
> > program with
> > snmap type of station model plotting.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> Hello Steve!
> >>
> >> I had used GDCROSS to make some cross section plots of model data,
> >> and I have some aircraft data (taken in a straight line along the
> >> cross
> >> section) that I wanted to plot onto these cross sections for
> >> verification.
> >> I have lat, lon, and alt for position, and the model cross
> >> sections are
> >> height based.
> >>
> >> Do you know if there is a way to do this with GEMPAK?
> >>
> >> Let me know, thanks!
> >>

> >> Brian Jamison
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: XTW-228983