Re: [Fwd: Re: National Radar Mosaic]

Tim,

I create the radar mosaic from level 3 N0R products for the Unidata IDD
in both
GRIB and a GINI image format (using GEMPAK programs GDRADR and NEX2GINI
which I wote) as is documented in my GEMPAK examples here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/gdradr/

The web page documents how to create the mosaic from the level 3 site
products.
Since GEMPAK is freely available for download from our web site, anyone
can obtain my program and use it to generate their own mosaics or use
the gridded (eg digital point values) data - I provide an example of how
to use the RUC grids to create a
precipitation type mosaic as well.

I also provide another program NEX2IMG to create a simple raster which
can be used with mapserver GIS such as
http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/docs/radmapserver/
which Daryl Herzman of Iowa State was kind enough to put together a
how-to document:
http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/docs/radmapserver/howto.html

The NSSL group (Ken Howard) is producimg a 3D volume mosaic from level 2
data which would be a better "digital" source for anyone that didn't
want the step
of using level 3 products (eg the binned data values) such as I do.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Steve Chiswell <address@hidden>
Unidata