[Support #FWQ-357482]: Re: conversion to image format

> Mr. Chiswell,
> I took a look at that test image you sent, and that's exactly what I wanted.
> I'd like to generate a lot more of these images from my model output.  I
> was wondering if you could send me the code you used.  Could I install
> gd2img by itself or would I need a whole new gempak version?
> Thanks,
> Megan

Megan,

I have the gd2img directory in the source distribution of 5.10.1, but didn't
configure it to be built in the binary distributions since it is still under
development.
I have been testing it out to create topo images from dem data, but created the
TMPK to pixel value entry in the table for your data. I will make it part of
the standard
build for 5.10.2; I just need to add some user friendliness to the program.

I can send you the program to run without upgrading your distribution if
you can tell me what OS etc you are running. Do you know what version of GEMPAK
you are
currently running?

Dr. Steve Chiswell
NC State 87, 90, 94
Unidata User Support

> [...]
> > used for
> > IR satellites), and if not, I'll need to get this worked out to provide
> > you with the
> > program.
> >
> > I displayed this with your grid points and contours in gdplot2 and the
> > image lines up
> > with the points, so my first pass seems to be in the right direction.
> >
> > Let me know how this works for you.....
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> Here's the grid navigation from gdinfo...
> >> GDFILE    Grid file                         satir_f24.gem
> >> LSTALL    Full list flag                    YES
> >> OUTPUT    Output device/filename            T
> >> GDATTIM   Grid date/time                    last
> >> GLEVEL    Grid level                        0
> >> GVCORD    Grid vertical coordinate          none
> >> GFUNC     Scalar grid                       CTMPK
> >> Parameters requested: GDFILE,LSTALL,OUTPUT,GDATTIM,GLEVEL,GVCORD,GFUNC.
> >> GEMPAK-GDINFO>r
> >>
> >> GRID FILE: satir_f24.gem
> >>
> >> GRID NAVIGATION:
> >> PROJECTION:          LCC
> >> ANGLES:                27.0   -85.3    27.0
> >> GRID SIZE:          159 159
> >> LL CORNER:              15.83    -82.64
> >> UR CORNER:              21.20    -76.45
> >>
> >> GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
> >> ANALYSIS TYPE:        BARNES
> >> DELTAN:               0.073
> >> DELTAX:           -9999.000
> >> DELTAY:           -9999.000
> >> GRID AREA:            15.00  -84.00   22.00  -75.00
> >> EXTEND AREA:          15.00  -84.00   23.00  -75.00
> >> DATA AREA:            15.00  -84.00   23.00  -75.00
> >>
> >> Also, the file (satir_f24.gem) is posted at..
> >> http://tempest.meas.ncsu.edu/megan
> >> if you'd like to have the actual file.
> >>
> >> Basically, I'm working on generating a model-simulated satellite IR
> >> product, kind of like model-simulated radar.  But I'd like to use the
> >> satellite color tables to make an observational comparison.  I'd
> >> eventually like to try and use the model-simulated IR on grids of
> >> different navigation, but I started out with this grid because it's 4-km
> >> grid spacing, similar to satellite resolution.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help! If there's any other information you'd like, just
> >> let me know.
> >>
> >> Megan

> >> which
> >> format

> >> and
> >> best
> >> using

> >> ----------------------------------------------------
> >> Megan S. Gentry
> >> Graduate Research Assistant, Forecasting Lab
> >> Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> >> North Carolina State University
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: FWQ-357482
> > Department: Support

> Megan S. Gentry
> Graduate Research Assistant, Forecasting Lab
> Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

Department: Support GEMPAK