[Support #FWQ-357482]: Re: conversion to image format

> Dr. Chiswell,
> I copied your entry into my nex2gini.tbl and now the higher temperatures
> do show up. Thanks for your help.
> I had an additional question about the image you sent.  I noticed that you
> got the color bar to be labeled with numbers.  Mine just has a 'C' at the
> top, but no numbers have shown up no matter what IMBAR and LUTFIL setting
> I tried.  Could you send me the script or the settings you used to make
> the image with a labeled color bar?
> Thanks,
> Megan

Megan,

Back on Apr 11, you had sent a posting to GEMBUD about your labels:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/gembud-list/msg01467.html
to which I responded that the label problem was due to a mathematical
computation of
the scaling which I fixed in the 5.10.2 distribution.

You had previously asked about using your old version of GEMPAK, which would
have
to be recompiled in order to fixed the routine whichhandles the image bar
labeling.
(also note that the parameter is now IMCBAR where it used to be IMBAR).

Do you have lots of modifications to your distribution that would make
upgrading to
the current version impractical? If so, I can try to get the code fixed for
your older version- buts thats a more difficult problem given other changes to
the source code
since then.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> > Megan,
> >
> > I looked at your attached images, and the 2nd image which I believe is
> > supposed
> > to be your satellite image while showing the color bar, appears to have
> > the wrong
> > LUTFIL defined. Ensure you either have set LUTFIL=default to
> > use the color lookup table define in satimg.tbl, or you have defined
> > LUTFIL=ir_upc2.tbl in GDPLOT2). Otherwise, I do not see the number of
> > colors in
> > your plot that I do here. Check your nex2gini.tbl for any typo as well-
> > the two sections of the curve are separated by the ";" character.
> >
> > I have attached a GIF image that I produced here showing the satellite
> > image
> > I created using your CTMPC grid and the modified Celsius nex2gini.tbl
> > entries of:
> > CTMPC     16    2 C,255,176,-110,-31;175,0,-30.5,57         TICZ99 TMPC
> >
> > I have overlaid the image with the TYPE=p plot of data values
> > from your grid using IJSKIP=5 for readability. I do see gray areas
> > to the northwest of the storm with values from 18 to 29C.
> >
> > I have also attached the GINI image I used, so you should be able to
> > duplicate my image if you had a typo in your nex2gini.tbl. If the problem
> > was in your LUTFIL setting in the display, then you would probably see a
> > similar
> > issue with not matching the display of the GIF that I sent.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> > Where previously I had sent you the TMPK values.
> >

> >> Dr. Chiswell,
> >>
> >> I have a question about the mapping of temperature to pixel at the
> >> higher
> >> temp values.  I've noticed that there's a lack of the the warmer/light
> >> gray colors in my satellite images.
> >> I've included some figures as an example of what I mean.  The observed
> >> IR
> >> has a lot of the lighter grays (5 to 20 C) around the storm.  My IR
> >> image
> >> shows a pretty abrupt change from the colder temps (below 0) to a black
> >> background.
> >> I checked output from the algorithm before it is converted to image and
> >> just plotted my homemade satellite IR table with some contours; it's the
> >> gempak.gif file.  The warmest temperatures it

Ticket ID: FWQ-357482
Department: Support GEMPAK