[GEMPAK #OIJ-311038]: building McIDAS on OSX 10.4 failed

Paul,

I'll pass on the question regarding McIDAS OS X support to Tom,
but I did just add the ability to read the png compressed area files from
the data stream yesterday so that you won't have to uncompress the files with
pnga2area. Of course, if you have older distributions of GEMPAK being used, you
would still have to uncompress the AREA files- but if you wanted to
use a current release of GEMPAK, then I can set you up with that (I have to
repackage all the GEMPAK distributions first).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hi, I'm partway through a McIDAS OS X 10.4 build.  It first failed upon
> the McIDAS-X installation when I failed to define where g77 was located.
> That's fixed now, but now I find an error that I can't interpret.  The
> relevant part of the makelog is shown below (after fixing the $PATH so it
> could find g77).  Any help would be appreciated.  g77 is the only Fortran
> compiler I have right now, so F90 compilations are being skipped I gather.
> Do I need to get g95 or other to complete the installation properly?
>
> Incidentally, I'm not interested in installing McIDAS for its own sake,
> per se, but am interested in the png2area decoders so that I can process
> imagery in gempak; I'm getting failures in decoding the MCIDAS files.
> Otherwise, the gempak and LDM installs ended up going fine on this box
> under OS X 10.4, by the way, thanks for the earlier tips.
>
> Thanks...Paul
> ---

Ticket ID: OIJ-311038
Department: Support GEMPAK