[GEMPAK #DOF-618450]: Plotting lightning data

> Dear Sir,
> I am a graduate student from Greece. I study Meteorology in the
> Department of Meteorology of Aristotle University, Thessaloniki. The
> subject of my master of science is lightning characteristics over the
> area of Greece. I am writing in order to ask if there is a programm
> that calculates the number of observations within a specified radius
> of a grid point.

Roupa,

Yes, I provide a program in the GEMPAK distribution called GDOBSCNT which
counts the number of observations in a user defined radius of points within
a grid file at a given time.

> I have ASCII files which contain date, time,
> longitude and latitude.

The data will have to be converted to a GEMPAK "ship" format data file
which is how we store lightning data. For convenience, I store
the lightning data into data bins of 5 minutes, but GEMPAK
date/time format can be as little as 1 minute.

> Also, I found that Gempak software can display lightning data. Is this
> a free software?

GEMPAK can be freely obtained from our web site once you have registered
as a user.

> I want to thank you a priori. I am looking forward for your answer.
> With regards,
> Roupa Paraskevi.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support