[GEMPAK #NKR-852146]: Count NLDN lightning strikes wtihin a given radius of a point?

> Hi,
>

> I'm a graduate student at Plymouth State University.  The goal of my
> research is to develop a 10-year thunderstorm climatology across northern
> New England.  I'd like to incorporate both radar and nldn cloud to ground
> lightning data.
>

> Currently, I'm doing a test run for the warm-season (Apr-Sep) 2005.
> Possible thunderstorms are first identified using the radar data.  Each
> possible thunderstorm has a datetime, latitude, and longitude.  In order to
> know whether a radar indicated cell is actually a thunderstorm, I'd like to
> search for lightning within a radius of ~10km from each cell.  All the raw
> nldn files were successfully converted into GEMPAK (.gem) surface files
> using this command in a .csh script:
>

> dcnldn -v 1 -m 25000 -s minute05 -d /home2/emlowery/research/logs/dcnldn.log
> /home2/emlowery/research/nldn/2005_raw/{yr}{mo}{dy}{hr}.nldn
>

> Is there a gempak program which can count the number lightning strikes
> within a given radius of a point (lat/lon)?

Evan,

Yes, I provide a program in the GEMPAK distribution called GDOBSCNT which
counts the number of observations in a user defined radius of points within
a grid file at a given time.

For convenience, I store the lightning data into data bins of 5 minutes, but
GEMPAK date/time format can be as little as 1 minute.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Sincerely,
>
> Evan Lowery