[GEMPAK #GJF-269484]: ntl Error Message

Massoud,

Your error messages show that you are running a BASH shell and not a CSH:

>gempak@wimden NAWIPS]$ source Gemenviron
>bash: setenv: command not found
>bash: setenv: command not found
>bash: setenv: command not found

The Gemenviron file it used to set environmental variables for a csh/tcsh
environment.
The Gemenviron.profile file is used to set the environment for a bash/sh/ksh
environment.

Edit Gemenviron.profile and ensure that NAWIPS is defined to be
/home/gempak/NAWIPS
or /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.10.2 to point to the current directory (the version you
downloaded
may have a 5.10.1 location defined in there).

Since your LDM data directory is /home/ldm/data/gempak, you will define GEMDATA
to be /home/ldm/data/gempak.

After defining those, you ca add these seetings and the GEMPAK environment to
your bash
shell by typing:
. Gemenviron.profile

The "dot" above is the bash way of sourcing the Gemenviron.profile.

You so not need to try to ass definitions for GOES11 or other directories.
The $SAT environmental variable should be pointing to
$GEMDATA/images/sat. The GUI programs will look at all subdirectories under
$SAT and create menu buttons for the various platforms like GOES11, GOES12, etc.

The FNEXRAD feed has several different products. The grib product which is
being decoded by dcgrib2 is placed in a daily file. All the gridded
composites are added to the daily file. They are not overwritten.

The image version of the composite is FILE'd by the line as shown in
$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/pqact.gempak_nexrad:
# png compressed 1km radar GINI format
FNEXRAD ^rad/NEXRCOMP/(...)/(...)_(........)_(....)
        FILE    -close  data/gempak/images/sat/NEXRCOMP/\1/\2/\2_\3_\4

These images are being placed under the SAT image as part of a composite
directory,
so that you can use them just like satellite images.

The dcgrib2 help file (see "dcgrib2 -h" output) explains:

    3. If an output filename is not provided, the program will attempt
        to find a suitable template from the table $GEMTBL/grid/gribkey.tbl.
        By using this feature, a single dcgrib2 process may be invoked for
        many different sources of GRIB data (typically for real-time data).
        If a matching set of criteria exist, the grid is decoded. The first
        template that matches the search criteria will be used, such that
        global matches can be permitted. The number of grid entries in the
        output file can be set in the gribkey.tbl file.

In $GEMTBL/grid/gribkey.tbl, a template that matches the NAM211 grid will
cause the data to be stored under
~ldm/data/gempak/model/nam/YYYYMMDDHH_nam211.gem

By using the decoder action without a name, it allows the pqact file to be set
up with a single
pattern that might match a number of different grids (eg nam211, nam212, nam218
etc)
and the decoder will appropriately file each to its own file rather than having
maintain a number of separate pqact entries.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: GJF-269484
Department: Support GEMPAK