[GEMPAK #URP-287688]: TRACE contrast in gf/gif

John,

What is your window size being used with the GIF driver. The default
GF will be 70% of the X window screen size (typically about 900x700
if you have a 1280x1024 display). On the other, since there
is no display involved with the GIF driver, it defaults to 640x480,
but you can override this in your DEVICE xsize;ysize setting which
will make it easier to control font size and appearance.

Also note that the GEMPAK help provides help on TRACE, while
the parameters that the web page accesses are TRACE1...TRACE1, so
the number has to be removed from the web query string. The actual
box for each trace however is limited to 1/ntrace of the plot
region and as you said, the range value is associate with data range not
axis size in pixels.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello,
> Plots from sfgram differ when produced with device=gf and gif. The
> whitespace between the
> TRACE boxes is relatively smaller when gif is used. This is a problem
> for us when we want to
> use gif in a cron script. The more squat TRACE boxes cause truncation of
> default-sized text and,
> in some cases, graphics. We don't seem to be able to get xvfb for our
> Macintosh systems, so are
> commited to gif.
> We are trying the approach of using a smaller text size, but this has
> disadvantages. It looks to
> me that the 'range' specification in the TRACE parameter is for the data
> range, but if it is for the
> y axis range and scale, please tell me more. (The link to the TRACE
> parameter on the SFGRAM
> page in the Chapter 4 online help file gives an error, as if there is a
> broken link or something. The
> TRACE page in Chapter 3 doesn't tell me enough.)
> I can send the script, and examples of the images if needed.
> Thanks,    John M.

Ticket ID: URP-287688
Department: Support GEMPAK