[GEMPAK #XGO-813982]: SFMOD cannot save new time in SFOUTF

> Hi Steve,
>
> For unknown reason(s), SFMOD still cannot add new times in SFOUTF even
> though the settings are within limits.
>
> Total # of stations = 4516
> Total # of times    =  200

Kwan,

When you create the surface file either through sfcfil or a decoder such as
dcmetr,
you have to specify the number of "Additional stations" in addition to
the stations in the STNFIL. GDGSFC will interpolate to existing station
locations
already in your file. If you are trying to add new station locations to your
file with SFMOD, there must be room for additional stations (and remember that
a decoder would be adding stations to the data set as they were encuntered in
the data set).
since you are using the NCEP distribution with about 4000 stations in
sfstns.tbl, it sounds like your
4516 stations is about the same as the default dcmetr to allow room for 500
additional stations.
Check the number of stations (even those with SLAT and SLON = -9999) in your
fle, and
determine if you have to either add extra room for your SFMOD stns, or
eliminate
those missing lat/lon stations.

Since you are within NOAA and getting your distribution from NCEP, you may be
able to
get help from NCO to directly look at what you have on your system since I
cannot
from outside NOAA.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support