[GEMPAK #KEK-908912]: Usee of gpmap for qsct

John,

You caught me in between the GEMPAK workshop and vacation.

The QSCT parameter in gpmap will configure the settings for the QBUF data.

Your error message seems to say you have SATFIL set to the bufr file,
but this is not a satellite image, so just set PROJ=CED and
GAREA=-90;-180;90;180
for example to start rather than proj=sat.

If you are still having problems, send the list of gpmap parameter settings.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello,
> No joy, so far, in use of gpmap to plot QuickScat winds. I based my
> attempt on the page
> in the Examples,
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/QuikSCAT/
>
> I used the long line of qsct specifications in gpmap. I made sure that
> the QBUF entry in the datatype.tbl
> is appropriate:
>
> QBUF         $GEMDATA/qsct
> YYYYMMDDHH.bufr                                  CAT_MSC  SCAT_NIL
> -1   2880    300      OFF/0/0      4
>
> I made sure that the data are in the directory indicated above (and list
> here only one hour of data
> for each day, for brevity):
> [kaikaias:gempak/tables/config] jmerrill% ls $GEMDATA/qsct/*19*
> /scratch/ldm/data/gempak/qsct/2007072219.bufr
> /scratch/ldm/data/gempak/qsct/2007072319.bufr
> /scratch/ldm/data/gempak/qsct/2007072419.bufr
>
> When I run gpmap, I hear that BUFR is not a supported format:
>
> [IM -3]  Image file gem_data/qsct/2007072323.bufr not a supported format
>
> I know that the BUFR files are not images, but I don't know how to
> specify the file
> or directory of files.
>
> Thnaks for any help you can provide.           John Merrill

Ticket ID: KEK-908912
Department: Support GEMPAK