RE: 5.10.3 trouble?

Rob,

I compiled the 32 bit binaries under FC7. The 64 bit binaries are still
FC5.
The FC6 release notes explain changes in the loader configuration using
gnu's gcc defaults:

OP to the FC6 RELEASE NOTES:

12.2.2. GCC Compiler Collection

This release of Fedora has been built with GCC 4.1, which is included
with the distribution.

12.2.2.1. Caveats

Fedora developers have introduced changes in the ELF .hash section
that provides symbols for dynamic linking. This new .gnu.hash section,
which is produced with the new default --hash-style=gnu option for
gcc, serves the same purpose as previous hash sections. It provides,
however, an approximately 50% increase in dynamic linking speed.
Binaries and libraries produced with the new hashing function are
incompatible with older glibc and dynamic linker releases. To use the
old-style hashing routines for compatibility with older glibc-based
systems, pass the --hash-style=sysv option instead.

I will recompile the 32 bit binaries using the --hash-style=both option
ld and see if that helps you until your OS is up to the level where
your ld understands gnu's newer hash style.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support