[GEMPAK #LEY-181797]: Problems plotting QuikSCAT winds w GEMPAK

Greg,

What version and OS are you running. There have
been some bugs fixed along the way so can never rule
out checking current distributions.

John's problem however as sent to me (though he never
actually provided me with his input to GPMAP) was that he was trying to
set SATFIL as his QBUF file. These are not images however. You
can overlay on a satellite image, but the qbuf data are not
what get set in SATFIL. You must store the ISXX bufr messages from NOAAPORT
and you must have the QBUF data type defined in datatype.tbl to match the
file'd name/location. The bufr data on NOAAPORT are not the grids from JPL
displayable as QSCT however so be sure that you are using the NOAAPORT
data if you are using the QBUF entry.

Other than that, please provide your settings in GPMAP and/or NMAP2.

> Steve,
> We are working with John Merrill of URI on a project called PASE -
> Pacific Atmospheric Sulfur Experiment. I hear he was having exactly the
> same problems I was having in getting anything more than a blank plot
> when trying to plot QuikSCAT winds with GPMAP. This is something I had
> given up on because we were never able to make it work. I'm wondering if
> you have come across others who have this same problem and whether you
> have any idea of how to solve the problem? I know it works on Unidata
> machines but there must be some other piece missing that we don't have
> and don't know we are missing. . .
>
> Greg
> --
>
> ~~N~A~T~I~O~N~A~L~~C~E~N~T~E~R~~F~O~R~~A~T~M~O~S~.~~R~E~S~E~A~R~C~H
> Greg Stossmeister                      e-mail: address@hidden
> NCAR/EOL                               phone: (303)497-8692
> P.O. Box 3000                          web: http://www.eol.ucar.edu
> Boulder, CO 80307-3000
> ~~~~~~~~E~A~R~T~H~~~O~B~S~E~R~V~I~N~G~~~L~A~B~O~R~A~T~O~R~Y~~~~~~~~

Ticket ID: LEY-181797
Department: Support GEMPAK