[GEMPAK #BIF-322492]: Conversion of Redbook Graphics to Something Else

>Hello all,
>

>I am wondering if anyone out there has discovered an "easy" way to convert
>the Redbook Graphics files and put them into a format (such as, for
>instance, XML) that does not rely on the GEMPAK decoders to display them?
>

>I can display these in N-AWIPS, but have a need to be able to display these
>graphics in a completely non-related piece of software.
>

>Thanks in advance for any advice you have,
>
> Joe

Joe,

I run a simple script to pipe the products to dcredbook_gif to output the
products as gif files for viewing on the web:

HRS     ^(P.....) (K[^WK]..|KW[^A].|KWA[^L]|KK[^C]|KKC[^I])
([0-3][0-9][0-2][0-9][0-6][0-9])
        PIPE    -close  util/dcredbook.csh \1 \2 \3

the dcredbook.csh is similar to the example shown for ps here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/redbook/
The gif script is linked to the web page above for download.

The script handles creation of the web directory and
some other tasks, then pipes standard in to dcredbook_gif with:

#!/bin/csh -f
source ~gempak/Gemenviron
<snip>
cd $GIFDIR
cat | dcredbook_gif -v 1 -d $GEMDATA/logs/dcredbook_gif.log  \
        -s $OUTDIR/%P_${1}_${2}_${3} \
        'gif|%P-YYYYMMDD_HHNN.gif|1280;1024'

The raw redbook product is stored with the "-s". I also make vg files
for use in NMAP2.

The output looks like what you can find here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/redbook/listgifs.php

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: BIF-322492