[GEMPAK #TNN-986762]: max and min temperatures for synop

> Hello.
>
> Here at Brazil we are using the gempak dclsfc decoder for
> synop data decoding.
>
> However, the dclsfc do not decodes the max and min temperatures
> for the WMO region III, only for the region IV (North America).
> This is a severe drawback for gempak data use.
>
> This issue can be solved at unidata ?
>
> Regards,
> Waldenio

Waldenio,

The MAX/MIN temperatures being decoded have intervals that are region specific.
These are stored as TDXC and TDNC if the interval is 24 hour, and T12X
and T12N if the interval is less that 24 hours. These variables
are included in the $GEMTBL/pack/lsfc.pack file. The dclsfc
decoder is coded to store the Region III max/mins as 12 hour minimums
(T12N) reported at 12Z and 12 hour maximums (T12X) reported at 00Z
as in $GEMPAK/source/bridge/ls/lstemp.f.

You can plot the T12X and T12N values in sfmap. To add these to the NMAP2
list of SYNOP type choices for the station model dialog which is
available under "EDIT SOURCE", add the T12X and T12N parameters to the
$GEMTBL/nmap/synop_parms.tbl.

Since you may have better access to local reporting practices for region III,
if you suspect tha the 12 hourly max/min assumption in the code is not
correct, please let me know.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: TNN-986762