[GEMPAK #KOA-247929]: Convert GEMPAK grids to grib or netCDF files

Chris,

GEMPAK has a program gdgrib which can be used to create a grib
message from a computed GEMPAK grid. You have to specify the appropriate
PDS information for vertical coordinate, parameter, etc, so
if you have a parameter computed that is not one that IDV
understands, you may have to do some work with IDV to
create table entries that it would use to understand the parameter.

Otherwise, your best bet would be to dump the output with GDLIST and
then find a way to convert the ascii output to
something that IDV can import.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Unidata Support,
>
> I am a graduate student at Plymouth State University and am working
> with NARR-A GEMPAK gridded files. Originally I used NAGRIB to convert
> the grib files to grid format. I have now manipulated the gridded files
> by using GDSTAT and am looking for a way to convert the files to be
> used in IDV. I am hoping that there is a way to convert the GEMPAK grid
> files to either grib format again for netCDF. Is there a way to do this
> using GEMPAK or even an alternative method? Any assistance on this
> would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
>
> --Chris Warren
>
> Christopher Warren
> Graduate Research Assistant