[GEMPAK #BBT-348008]: GEMPAK binaries for Mac OS 10.5 (leopard)?

> Well, I'm shot down right off the bat -- it's Mac OS X on intel ( a new
> iMac ). Before I downloaded the binaries, I was fishing around for info
> or release notes on the built platform but didn't find anything.
>
> I suppose I could try building from source. In that case, which fortran
> would you recommend? gfortran? Are there any gotchas you could pass on, too?

Neil,

The MCHPRM.Darwin configures this platform a MTAPOL (a big endianOS).
This will have to change to MTLNUX to expect a little endian configuration.
The MMRECL in gemprm.h and MCHPRM/Darwin will probably be "4" for the intel
but I can't guarantee without testing.

You will need openMotif as always. Our biggest headache is gettting a g77 or
gfortran
environment which isn't on our stock boxes. I had to build that myself, but
hopefully its
improved in leopard. We are trying to get an intel mac here but don't know the
time frame.

Since the fortran code has those word size and byte order dependencies within
the fortran code,
this is not going to be an easy universal binary solution since that is a
runtime configuration
for the MacOS.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Thanks,
> -Neil
>
> Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr.               address@hidden
> Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M Univ. 979/845-6272
>

> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > Neil,
> >
> > No, we don't have a leopard system here yet.
> > Is this a PPC platform you have, or one of the newer intel based?
> > The binaries are built on PPC and therefore expect big endian byte ordering.
> >
> > It looks like the services for X connections are not enabled on the system.
> > Can you launch standard xterm and other applications? If so, then
> > the general environment is set up correctly and then the runtime
> > environment is not backward compatible with the environment I have here.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> I don't suppose you've built GEMPAK on the Mac OS 10.5 leopard, have you?
> >> I've installed the Mac OS binaries on a 10.5.1 system and GUIs can't
> >> display to the Xwindows ... has screwy error:

> >> _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for
> >> /tmp/launch-nMyeeX/:6000: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
> >> Error: Can't open display: /tmp/launch-nMyeeX/:0
> >>
> >> Same for garp.
> >>
> >> Have you experimented with leopard yet?
> >>
> >> -Neil
> >>
> >> --
> >> Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr.            address@hidden
> >> Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M Univ.      979/845-6272
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: BBT-348008
> > Department: Support GEMPAK

Ticket ID: BBT-348008