[GEMPAK #SME-633025]: Confirming Linux 64 Binary problem with 5.11.1 and Fedora 6

Hi Samuel,

re:
> I have found that nmap2 will crash, out-of-the box at, version 5.11.1
> (using a remote 'ssh -X' Xterminal session) and give the following output:
>
> [gempak@EBE270-22LIN ~]$ nmap2
> Finished reading tables...
> Resource File:  /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/resource/Nmap
> Segmentation fault
> [gempak@EBE270-22LIN
>
> I have removed the NAWIPS link, and re-created the link to point to the
> directory GEMPAK5.10.4
>
> After logging out, and logging back in again, nmap2 works fine.

Did you test to see if 5.11.1 would work correctly when running on the system
console (i.e., when you are _not_ doing an 'ssh -X')?  If it does run when not
logged
in using SSH, then it would seem like the smoking gun is SSH, not GEMPAK 5.11.1.
This does not jibe, however, with your observation that 5.10.1 _does_ work
correctly
when SSH'd in.

Questions:

- did the Segmentation fault produce a core file?
- if a core was produced, did you run the debugger (gdb)?
- if you did run the debugger, where did it indicate that the problem occurred
(i.e.,
  what is the stack trace)?

> It looks like the x.x.1 releases might be a bit buggy,

Some of the feedback we have received since Chiz left seems to indicate problems
with the 5.11.1 release.  To date, however, yours is the only report of NMAP2
crashing like this.

> even the Great 'Chiz' suggested Chris Lander migrate away from 5.10.1 on
> April 02, 2007.

Yea, the .1 releases are more likely to have problems that others.

Ticket ID: SME-633025
Department: Support GEMPAK