[GEMPAK #BMZ-134019]: Do I qualify to use Gempak?

Hi Roger,

re:
> My name is Roger, I am a weather enthusiast.I currently do not hold a
> degree in meteorology but I'm considering a certificate of achievement
> in forecasting from Penn State.I am requesting information on the
> stipulations for download and use of GEMPAK.

GEMPAK is freely available through Unidata.  You need to register with our
web site before you can get access to the code, however:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Click on the Login link and then follow the instructions for registering.

> If I qualify, would GEMPAK be compatible with windows vista.

No, not directly.  GEMPAK runs on *nix (Unix/Linux) systems.  "not directly"
means that you could possibly run GEMPAK in a Linux VMware virtual machine
on your Windows Vista system.  I am not sure if this has been tried yet
(Windows XP has been tried), so be aware that there may be some work that
would have to be done to get things working.

The other option is to consider using the Unidata IDV.  The IDV runs natively
on Windows XP and Vista.  The IDV is also freely available to those who
register with the Unidata website.

> Thank you for your time.

No worries.

Ticket ID: BMZ-134019