[GEMPAK #OUO-432875]: garp crashing on save after a clear or reset

Hi Neil,

This is a problem with garp that we've experienced on a few different builds,
and unfortunately at this time there is no clear solution.  I'll continue to
look for answers and get back to you if I happen to find something.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> gempak 5.10.4 Mac OS X binary distro
> iMac OS X 10.5.6
> XQuartz 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple31)
>
> For some products, garp is crashing when: plot - save - clear/reset -
> plot - save
> eg. plotting upper air data w/standard color and contours:
>
> G A R P - v2.1 starting...
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> <- do plot
> <- save 'garpsave.gif'
> GIF Filename is garpsave.gif and frame toggle is CURRENT.
> <- clear (or reset)
> <- do plot
> <- save 'garpsave.gif'
> GIF Filename is garpsave.gif and frame toggle is CURRENT.
> Trying to allocate color 0 4278190080              <- Crash!
> Trying to allocate color 48 4294944079
> X Error:  BadValue
> Request Major code 91 ()
> Value 0xffffa54f
> Error Serial #9912
> Current Serial #9912
>
> Can even start garp, do a clear or reset before plotting anything,
> then plot, and it will
> crash on attempt to save.
>
> Tested: this happens on plots that have a geographic background.
> Does not happen, eg., for model vertical profile, model time height,
> model cross-section.
> Exception: on radar level III, only crashes after a clear but remains
> ok after reset.
>
> Suggestions?
> -Neil
> --
> Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr. address@hidden
> Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M Univ. 979/845-6272
> --

Ticket ID: OUO-432875
Department: Support GEMPAK