[GEMPAK #XAJ-972003]: Problem with gdlist

Bob,

semctl: Operation not permitted

is an error which indicates that you do not appropriate privileges or are not
the owner of the object or other resource trying to perform an operation.

It's likely a result of a semctl semaphore call trying to obtain the message
queue id of an existing gempak process.

Could it be that a script or previous use has crashed and left processes
hanging? Check the output from "ipcs", and also check for old gdlist processes
in your /bin/ps output.

You may need to run "cleanup" as well.

Let me know if any of this helps, or if the problem persists, and forward along
any scripts that you're trying to use when the crash happens.

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> Support:
>
> I am trying to run gdlist under GEMPAK5.11.1.  Sometimes it runs OK,
> but lately it fails giving the message:
>
> semctl: Operation not permitted
>
> I have never seen this message before. Can you advise me how to
> proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Ballentine

Ticket ID: XAJ-972003