[GEMPAK #RZV-218184]: barnes oagrid program

The problem here is the format of your station table (stations.tbl)

Three very important things to note:

 * latitude and longitude must be expressed in hundredths of decimal degrees

 * be sure that the station IDs in your station table match the case of those
in your surface data file (s vs. S)

 * the spacing on each line of your station table must conform a standard
template:

(A8,1X,I6,1X,A32,1X,A2,1X,A2,1X,I5,1X,I6,1X,I5)
 ^     ^     ^      ^     ^     ^     ^     ^
 |     |     |      |     |     |     |     |
 |     |     |      |     |     |     |     --- Elevation (meters)
 |     |     |      |     |     |     --- Longitude (west = negative)
 |     |     |      |     |     --- Latitude (south = negative)
 |     |     |      |     --- Country
 |     |     |      --- State
 |     |     --- Station Name
 |     --- Station Number
 --- Station ID

A8 = eight characters for the station ID (trailing blanks acceptable)
1X = 1 space character
I6 = six characters for the station number (trailing blanks acceptable)

and so on.

(please see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/station_tables.html for
more information)

In your station.tbl the format is incorrect:

S54436  544360  ----  --  CI  118.95  40.40  228  0

where "S54436  " (w/ two trailing blank spaces included) will be read as the
station ID, but the next character, "5", will be read as a delimiting
character.  As the line is read left to right, lat/lon will not be where the SF
program expects them, hence the coordinates in your surface file
(srfchina4.sfc) all being set to 0.0.

You'll need to recreate or edit the surface data file with these changes and
then rerun sfcfil/sfedit to import the surface data.

Michael James
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: RZV-218184
Department: Support GEMPAK