[GEMPAK #MXI-754730]: LDM / GEMPAK binaries

Hello Bruno,

When Unidata released GEMPAK 5.11.1 in December 2007, we produced binary
builds. The majority of the support questions after that release were related
to incompatibilities of the binaries with the system libraries. Sometimes,
tracking down these issues was very time consuming. In most cases, building
GEMPAK from source solved the issues related to binary builds.

After discussions with the Unidata User's Committee and Policy Committee, we
decided that providing source only distributions in the future was warranted
because:

- As operating systems move forward, the binary builds will likely become
incompatible with newer libraries.

- The UPC does not have access to the wide range of systems that are currently
being used in the GEMPAK community.

- The UPC does not have the resources to continually produce binary releases
with each source change.

Both committees endorsed this action.

A source build on CentOS should be fairly straightforward.  If you are
encountering compilation problems, please send a summary my way with a make.out
build log attached and I will provide assistance.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> Hi, I´m looking for binaries distribution for latest Gempak version,
> but I noticed that only the source code is available. I tried to build
> from source with no success.
>
> Do you have the Linux/64 (CentOS) binaries?
> CentOS is OK, or you recommend any other Linux distribution?
>
> I´m trying to install it on a VMware virtual machine, it´s possible?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> --
> Bruno Marques
> AQUAMET Meteorologia, Projetos e Sistemas
> +55 (21) 9778-2007

Ticket ID: MXI-754730
Department: Support GEMPAK