[GEMPAK #IKO-161660]: most unstable cape calculation

Kelly,

I'm unable to address why the lowest 180mb MUCAPE would be smaller than
sfc-based CAPE in these NARR grids.

While GEMPAK does not have an intrinsic function for MUCAPE in the lowest
300mb, you are able to calculate CAPE for any layer using the outline for CAPE
located in our grid variables appendix:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/apxA_index

(see approx. 1/4 down the page under "STABILITY INDICES")

Without trying this myself, I imagine you should be able to use the
mathematical syntax outlined in GPARM documentation for your CAPE calculations.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?gparm

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Hi all
>
> I am working with NARR data and would like to calculate most unstable CAPE.
> The NARR grids contain surface based CAPE as well as the most unstable CAPE
> from 0-180 mb. However, the NARR 0-180 mb CAPE is typically smaller than the
> surface based CAPE, so I am suspicious to use it. Is there a way to
> calculate most unstable CAPE (for any depth of levels) for the NARR data
> using GEMPAK?
>
> Thanks
> Kelly

Ticket ID: IKO-161660