[GEMPAK #ISO-604907]: Mac Build

Joe,

GEMPAK 5.11.4 is available as a compressed gzipped tarball, and on unix/max
systems it can be uncompressed with the following command (executed in the
gempak user's home directory):

tar -xvzf gempak_upc5.11.4.tar.gz

this will create the directory GEMPAK5.11.4/ and will house the uncompressed
contents of the tarball archive.

from here you will need to follow the installation guide located at

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/Install_GEMPAK.html

which should involve only editing Gemenviron (for csh/tcsh) or
Gemenviron.profile (for bash) and then building the package from the
newly-create GEMPAK5.11.4/ directory, which is covered in section 3 of "Build
and Install the Package" from the above link:

--------------------

3. Build the distribution

Now you are ready to begin installation. To compile and build the libraries,
and compile and link all programs, from the top level (aka $NAWIPS) directory
simply issue the command:

make all >& make.out &

If there are any errors, make will abort, so there is no need to watch the
installation process. However, you should keep a copy of the output that comes
from the make process. That way if anything goes wrong you can examine the
output to help determine where the error is.

If you want to watch the compilation, type:

tail -40f make.out

This command will scroll the make.out file on your screen as output is written
to it. To stop the scrolling, use ctrl-C.

If you have any trouble during the installation and need help from Unidata,
please send me a copy of the "make.out" file. Note that with the Makefile
installation, only fatal errors (errors that cause the "make all" to quit) are
significant.

The "make all" command will automatically descend through all the directories
that require compilation and linking. When the "make all" command is done, you
have generated all the GEMPAK executables and libraries.

------------------

> I am trying to instal it on my mac. i have downloaded the code distribution
> the mark unarchives it and then nothing happens i do not know where to look
> for it, or how i am supposed to open this tree you guys are talking about.
> if you could help me out that would be great.
>

> --
> Joe Puma
> Future Meteorologist
> 848 Highview Ave,