[GEMPAK #EAU-733768]: genpak5.11.4 source version

Hi Wen,

I would say the suggestion to try a different version of gcc is the best way to
proceed right now.  Unfortunately I have never had a user report this problem
with gempak before so I can't offer much help, but from what I found online
this seems to be a gcc problem and not a gempak problem.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Michael,
>
> Our gempak seems working (ntl suite including garp stars nicely), but the gcc
> compile error still exists. Dave, our expert, tested the command you
> suggested. The result is shown below. Could you please help us diagnose this
> problem further? Thanks,
>
> Wen

> Hi - I went in and tested this exact command with different parameters set
> and it fails every time with the same error. I watched this compile drain all
> 48GB of RAM and 10GB of swap space from the system. I even added an
> additional 50GB swap space and it still fails the same way.
>

> Would it be worth investigating using GCC 3 for this?
>
> Dave

> > I don't believe that "make all" in $NAWIPS (GEMPAK5.11.4) is creating
> > libnetcdf.a and libnetcdf.1a in GEMPAK5.11.1/os/linux64/lib/ - from your
> > make2.out file your environmental variables seem to be correctly set, so
> > there should be no conflict with any env vars pointing to the 5.11.1
> > directories.
> >

> > However, in your make2.out file there is a gcc error message:
> >
> > gcc -ansi -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -I. -I. -I../src
> > -I../src -UH5_DEBUG_API -DNDEBUG
> > -I/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/os/linux64/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
> > -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE
> > -c
> > tselect.c -o tselect.o
> > virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
> > make[6]: *** [tselect.lo] Error 1
> > make[6]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/extlibs/HDF5/v1.6.5/test'
> > make[5]: *** [tests] Error 1
> > make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/extlibs/HDF5/v1.6.5'
> > make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > the "virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory" error message
> > indicates that gcc can't allocate enough memory for the build (it seems to
> > be
> > a known issue with gcc) - it may be due to heavy system load from other
> > programs or daemons, or due to your virtual memory being set too low.
> >
> > what is the output of "ulimit -a" run as root on your system?
> >
> > if your virtual memory is too low, you may be able to reallocate virtual
> > memory and get the build to work by using the "ulimit -v 60000" command
> > (ulimit -m on debian systems), where 60000 is just an arbitrarily large
> > number that will hopefully allow the build to complete.
> >

> > Michael James
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> > Michael James
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> Michael,
> >>
> >> In the previous mail, I mentioned it didn't work when I "make clean" and
> > then "make all" in $NAWIPS/extlibs/netCDF/. On Friday, I tried again in
> > $NAWIPS. Firstly I "make all", "make install" and "make clean", it didn't
> > work. Secondly, I copied the libnetcdf.a and libnetcdf.1a from the building
> [...]

Ticket ID: EAU-733768
Department: Support GEMPAK