[GEMPAK #LCX-442413]: GARP crash

Hi Frank,

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could be in my previous message.  GARP was
originally developed by COMET and was written as a GEMPAK application similar
to NMAP2.Both GARP and NMAP2 are designed to be easy to use gui interfaces for
the GEMPAK programs, but GARP is essentially unsupported while NMAP2 has
incorporated a lot of the code updates added to NAWIPS/GEMPAK by NCEP.  As it
stands, Unidata's ability to support and update GARP is somewhat limited, and
since NMAP2 provides nearly all of the functionality of GARP, and is better
integrated into the NAWIPS/GEMPAK package, we make the suggestion that if GARP
presents problems, users should try to use NMAP2 as a replacement for GARP.  I
certainly understand the familiarity with GARP, but unfortunately it's a
difficult package for us to support. By suggesting you use NMAP2 I wasn't
suggesting that you not use GEMPAK, only that for visualizing data in a gui,
NMAP2 is more updated, more robust and less buggy than GARP.  Using NMAP
 2 instead of GARP does not mean that you would not be able to use the GEMPAK
applications.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata