[McIDAS #WUE-272422]: GOES 12 or 13

Hi Gustavo,

Michael built the latest GEMPAK release, v6.2.0, on your system on
Friday.  I just changed the NAWIPS link in /home/gempak to point
at the new installation.  The processing you are doing
out of the 'ldm' account should now work correctly for the East
image sectors in the UNIWISC datastream.

Please let us know if the new distribution is meeting your needs.

re: my comment on us not providing GEMPAK binaries anymore
> Does it means GEMPAK is going to be obsolete??? This has to do with our
> previous email about migrating or not to Mcidas…. I would appreciate
> your point of view.

We stopped creating binaries for GEMPAK after Steve Chiswell (Chiz) left
Unidata.
The two of us who picked-up support for GEMPAK when Chiz left noticed that
a very large fraction of the GEMPAK support inquiries were a result of people
using a binary distribution on a system that did not match well with the system
on which the binary was created.  We made the decision at that point to have
users build the GEMPAK distribution from source on their own machines.  This
move has caused some discomfort in the Unidata GEMPAK community, but folks
are finding it easier and easier as our documentation for doing the build
from source has improved and those users have become familiar with doing builds
from source.  You should know that the great majority of other software that
we offer also must be built from source code; this includes the LDM and McIDAS.

As for GEMPAK eventually becoming obsolete: the answer is yes, GEMPAK will at
some point become obsolete, but this will not happen for some time.  The U.S.
National Weather Service has contracted for the development of an analysis
system that is designed to replace both AWIPS (used in U.S. Weather Service
forecast offices) and NAWIPS (NAWIPS is the official name for the GEMPAK
distribution
we make available).  The contractor doing the development is well along towards
creating this new package; our Weather Service expects that it will begin
replacing
AWIPS/NAWIPS sometime next year (2011).  Unidata's position is that we will
support
GEMPAK for 18 months after the Weather Service has replaced its use with the new
package.  Please be aware that this does _not_ mean that GEMPAK will become
unuseful
after the transition.  There are lots of long-time users of GEMPAK in the U.S.
and
elsewhere that are determined that GEMPAK will continue to be viable into the
future.  So, you should not be too concerned that GEMPAK is going away, but you
should be aware that changes will be occurring.

Ticket ID: WUE-272422
Department: Support McIDAS