[GEMPAK #QKI-191889]: NetCDF to GEMPAK

Hi Stephen,

So what I can tell you is that there does not exist a general netCDF to GEMPAK
converter, basically because mapping of netCDF variable names to GEMPAK
variable names is not straightfoward at all.  DCREANAL was developed
specifically to convert NARR reanalysis grids from netCDF to GEMPAK following
the COARDS convenvtion (
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html )

The above link provides the most information I can find about the COARDS
convention and includes an example CDL file at the bottom of the page.

This probably isn't the answer you were hoping for but your best bet is
probably to reformat your netCDF files to match this COARDS convention as
closely as possible.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this so
that's the best advice I can offer.

If you're primarily interested in *visualizing* the data, I can suggest IDV
over GEMPAK as it should be able to handle your files.

Best,

Michael

Ticket ID: QKI-191889
Department: Support GEMPAK