[GEMPAK #ZEH-696027]: Is GEMPAK for me?

> Thank you for your quick response.  I have read over all the information
> that you provided through the links in your reply.  I have a couple more
> questions if you don't mind.   Does GEMPAK work with any format of Linux,
> for example Ubuntu?  I really only use Linux for WSI weather graphics, so
> Ubuntu would be easiest for my windows-style mindframe.  Also, how much does
> just the software cost?  I understand that the data is free right?

Hi Megan,

GEMPAK is freely available and can be built for nearly all flavors of Linux and
Unix.  There are special instructions for Ubuntu systems described on the
GEMPAK installation page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/Install_GEMPAK.html#buildoptions

> I have an IT guy at my station rebuilding an older laptop of mine, and I
> want to use that only for GEMPAK.  It is from 2004, do you think it will
> have all the required hardware?  I most likely will ask my IT guy to install
> it once he's finished rebuilding, so I'm trying to get everything together
> that he will need.  I hopefully can get GEMPAK set up and use it everyday to
> forecast for my newscasts.  I am a scientist first and a broadcaster second,
> (actually probably third, ha) so station provided tools are not very
> satisfying and I'm tired of zoomed out data from numerous websites.

A laptop from 2004 should not present any problems as long as all of the
required libraries are installed.  GEMPAK code is over 20 years old so tend to
compile and work just fine on older systems!

Good luck with the install.  And always feel free to send in any questions or
problems you encounter.

Best,

Michael James
Unidats