[GEMPAK #KNO-470625]: No basemap drawn with AREA satellite file

Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately GEMPAK does not contain the necessary McIDAS navigation modules
for displaying MTSAT products.  I know that's not the answer you were hoping
for, but copyright issues make the situation more complicated than it appears.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata Support

> I use MTSAT/METEOSAT satellite data obtained as AREA files from
> http://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov, but am having trouble using such files
> in GEMPAK. Specifically, while a file downloaded from the site (e.g.,
> MTNHEM04I2.2011.161.0401z.bin) will display as expected in IDV/McIDAS
> with both the satellite imagery and an appropriate political basemap,
> Nmap and GARP are able to plot the satellite image data but does not
> plot an underlying political basemap. Manually changing the basemap often
> means that the satellite data is not displayed.
>
> Do I need to somehow add additional header data or add information to
> one of GEMPAK's tables so that GEMPAK can georeference the satellite
> data and draw the appropriate basemap, or are the satepsanone AREA files
> incompatible with GEMPAK?

Ticket ID: KNO-470625
Department: Support GEMPAK