[GEMPAK #MAO-396770]: Plotting NEXRAD3 Data

> 1) I'm currently using GPNEXR2... I'm assuming this is the ideal
> program to use... I've tried gpmap2 as well....  (I would guess that
> GPNEXR2 would be more efficient than GPMAP, but let me know if this is
> not the case)

gpnexr2 and gpmap are both good choices.  gpmap is a bit more robust but if you
just want to handle nexrad gpnexr2 is the program to use.

> 2) Is it possible to adjust the color bar on the left (IMCBAR),
> specifically the ranges and number of decimal degrees after each value
> (e.g. I'd like the color bar to display 85 instead of 85.0). I looked in
> imgtyp.tbl and grepped for, say N1Q in the $GEMTBL directory, and
> couldn't  find much.   Are there additional resources not part of the
> GEMPAK package that we should be using?

There is no IMCBAR option for customizing the precision displayed on the bar,
but I would like to clean up the IMCBAR labeling for the next GEMPAK release by
the UPC.

> 3) Also, (correct me if I'm wrong)... the VIL values seem several orders
> of magnitude off.  For example, when I plot a DVL file,  I'm getting
> values in the tens of thousands e.g.. 21444.3 kg/m-2.... in the color
> bar when these values should be between 20-70 kg/m-2

Obviously a bug that needs fixing.  The DSP display as well.  Look for these
fixes and other improvement in the next UPC GEMPAK release (v6.4).  Thanks for
bringing these problems to my attention again.

Michael James
Unidata

Ticket ID: MAO-396770
Department: Support GEMPAK