[GEMPAK #SKO-157822]: WRF Ensemble - 12 Member Limit?

Hi Christopher,

The maximum number of ensemble members possible is 128 (MXMBRS), but there is
limit of 12 file names which can be specified in GDFILE (MAXENT).  Confusing,
right?

The trick is to use the wildcard "*" to specify ensemble members with similar
file names in datatype.tbl.  For example, if your files are named:

gefs_2012042400f024_gep01.gem
gefs_2012042400f024_gep02.gem
gefs_2012042400f024_gep03.gem

and so on...

and entry in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl should be present for the file
pattern, with matching directory where the files are to be found:

GEFS         $MODEL/ens                gefs_YYYYMMDDHH_gep*
        CAT_GRD  SCAT_FCT   -1     -1     -1      OFF/0/0      4

With this you can define GDFILE = {GEFS} to use this alias and see all member
ensembles used.

Michael James
Unidata

> Full Name: Christopher Marciano
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello,
>
> I am trying to generate a 28 member ensemble using the GEMPAK ensemble
> feature. Each ensemble member is a separate .gem file that was created by the
> WRF post processing software. When I run my GEMPAK script the output says:
> "[DE 4] Number of MEMBERS = 12", despite the fact that I have specified 28
> different members in the script. GDFILE is currently set as
> {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28}.
>
> It reads the first 12 members and plots ENS_SAVG(PMSL)/ENS_SSPR(PMSL) fine
> but does not recognize the other 16 members. Is there a limit on the number
> of ensemble members GEMPAK can handle and if so, is there an alternative way
> of plotting all 28 members? Thank you.
>
> - Christopher Marciano

Ticket ID: SKO-157822
Department: Support GEMPAK