[GEMPAK #IPF-563953]: lightning data

The SFPARM definition you will want to use if "sgnl", with an optional marker
design appended (SFPARM = sgnl;mark:1.1.1)

Here's an example of what I use for SFMAP

 AREA     = dset
 GAREA    = usnps
 SFPARM   = sgnl;mark:1:1:1
 DATTIM   = first
 SFFILE   = nldn
 COLORS   = 0;30
 MAP      = 6
 MSCALE   = 0
 CLEAR    = y
 DEVICE   = XW
 PROJ     = str/90;-100;0

I start with DATTIM = first for SFFILE = nldn (which points to
$GEMDATA/nldn/20121025HHMM.gem) because the file may not have data for the last
5-minute period in the 30-minute file (where DATTIM=last would equate to 1855
UTC if the 1830 UTC file is being read before 1855 UTC).  This can all be
checked for in a shell script with the program "sfctime", which will report the
available times in a GEMPAK surface file:

> sfctime nldn
121025/1830
121025/1835
121025/1840
121025/1845

Hopefully this will help set you right on displaying NLDN data.

Best,

Michael James

> We are ingesting and decoding nldn data from Albany.
>
> I am trying to use gempak to display the data. Any ideas?
>
> I used SFMAP   with
>
> clear='y'
> sffile=/data/data/nldn/201210221800_nldn.gm
> area = ca     (also tried us)
> garea = ca
> sfparm=       (found in script on your pages somewhere)
> dev= xw       (this displays the map, but no lightning data)
> map=1
> marker=20/2/.1/4/hw
> proj=nps

> I also tried listing with
> SFLIST
> but it doesn't like that I don't list a sfparm
>
> Thanks
> Marty Leach

Ticket ID: IPF-563953
Department: Support GEMPAK