[GEMPAK #UYL-545104]: Gempak Sounding

Hi Paul,

I goofed and let your support ticket slip.   Sorry about that.   It was just
brought to my attention again tonight.

If you're asking if GEMPAK programs have the capability to draw parcel traces
from grid files, the answer is no.

I tried to produce a lifted parcel trace in GDPROF but didn't get far.

There actually is a GFUNC routine to calculate parcel temperature along a moist
adiabat, but it seems tied to GLEVEL.  meaning there's no functionality in
GEMPAK profiling programs to calculate this, but there is code to calculate the
values.  the only solution I have, which is combersome, is to run GDDIAG to
save TMST (see below) for each and every level in your grid file.  running
GDDIAG 10 times doesn't sound like a good solution but it the closest I've
come.   Thing is, I'm not sure that GDPROF would even plot a stew-t/log-p chart
if GFUNC is something other than temperature or dewpoint.  But I can give it a
try and report back to you.

Michael

> I have a question about gempak soundings. We are working on scripting
> forecast soundings and would like to be able to define a parcel. I
> know this is possible with the gui but do not know the scripting terms
> to define the parcel.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul

Ticket ID: UYL-545104