[GEMPAK #QCN-811498]: Gempak and Google Earth

Hi Alan,

There is no direct way to do this, GEMPAK is quite old and this is not the sort
of capability that the developers had in mind.

However, I have done something similar on my own time.  I was producing
postscript files as output and converting them to SVG with a tool called
pstoedit.  I would guess that it's not too difficult to convert SVG to KML
after that step.  Here's the first promising results I found:
http://bitbucket.org/tbrugz/kmlutils/

Michael James
Unidata

> Full Name: Allan Huffman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: HI,
>
> I was wondering if there were anyway to create kml files from any of
> the gempak programs?
>
> Or if there were some sort of conversion program out there to do this?
>
> Specifically I am looking for a way to display the ATCF hurricane model
> tracks on google earth.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Allan

Ticket ID: QCN-811498