[GEMPAK #KTU-213331]: Radar NTP/BRET threshold values

Hello James,

If you are referring to the Unidata-created NTP composite, which is on the
FNEXRAD IDD feed, you should know that we apply our own color mapping table to
this product (the upc_ntp.tbl file you mentioned).  This is done because the
site NTP products do not have a static mapping of value-to-precipitation, but
are scaled (or calibrated) dynamically.  For example, the current (June 24
mid-day) NTP product from DMX (Des Moines) has a maximum value of 15 inches
while products from DVN (Davenport) have a maximum value of 10 inches.

Michael James
Unidata

> Hello,
>
> I can find the list of colors used for the NTP composite in the
> upc_ntp.tbl file, but what I'm really interested in is a table or some
> kind of reference that assigns the colors to the various precipitation
> amounts (e.g. 1 inch, 2 inch, etc.) or at least how the values in BRET
> files correspond to these precipitation amounts. I've searched extensively
> through the archives and all I find is reference to the upc_ntp.tbl file
> which looks to me like a color palette and I'm assuming that there must
> be something else that assigns what I think are pseudo-brightness values
> to specific colors based on certain precipitation amounts. I don't need to
> know how to create one, I just want to see something like a table. Thanks.
>
> Jim
> James P. Koermer
> Professor Emeritus, Meteorology
> Plymouth State University