[GEMPAK #RSF-657957]: Trying to display names on nmap2(GEMPAK6.10)

Hi James,

The table you want to check is $GEMTBL/nmap/mapovl.nmap

If you add an entry

City_Names      2    cities.tbl          0     15      1      1         2
  2          1

(style attributes taken from the County_Names entry, so edit these to your
liking).

You can then select "City_Names" from the Map Selector dialog in NMAP2, but be
warned, it is VERY cluttered (see attached image).

There's no functionality to display a string greater than 8 characters and to
implement such a thing would (IMO) require some tedious re-writing of NMAP2
code.

-Michael

> Hi Michael,
>
> I first submitted this query to Gembud, but I got no response from the
> audience. Thus, I'm coming to you for help (if it can be done).
>
> I would like to display city names on a base map using Nmap2(rather than
> the three or four letter identifier). If I'm interpreting it correctly,
> the file, $GEMTBL/nmap/locator.tbl is set up to display the station
> name(code 4, which points to the 3rd column of a station file...like the
> cities.tbl file in $GEMTBL/stns). Yet, it displays only the first column
> information, which is limited to a maximum of 8 character length. Can I
> alter this file or some other so that I can display the city names?
>
> James
>
> --
> James Murakami
> Staff Meteorologist/Student Affairs
> Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
> University of California, Los Angeles
> 405 Hilgard Ave.
> Los Angeles, CA  90095-1565
>

> e-mail: address@hidden