[GEMPAK #QBN-292365]: GEMPAK 6.10 build issue

Hi Darren,

I am the so-called GEMPAK guru on vacation in Norway at the moment.   I have
another user who reported the same build problem with Scientific Linux earlier
this year, but before we look at operating system-specific issues, can you
confirm that you are sourcing the environmental variable file Gemenviron?

For tcsh and bash-specific sourcing, see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/doc/install.html#sourcing

The reason I ask this is that I reproduce the "make: *** /: Is a directory.
Stop." error if I deliberately do NOT source the Gemenviron file and attempt a
build.  Once I then source the file, the build works as it should.

Michael James
Unidata

> Hi Darren,
>
> Our GEMPAK guru is on travel at the moment and likely not able to get online
> and answer questions... I will try to help.
>
> > I am having an issue with the GEMPAK 6.10 build. I am using Scientific
> > Liunx and have
> > downloaded the tarball for the GEMPAK source code. I've gone through the
> > installation
> > guide and am getting hung up on compiling the GEMPAK source. After I
> > execute the "make
> > all >$ make.out" command, I find the make.out file only contains "make: ***
> > /: Is a
> > directory.  Stop."
>
> Questions:
>
> - was your 'make' invocation:
>
> make all >$ make.out
>
> If yes, this may be the problem.  The invocation should be:
>
> make all >& make.out
>
> - what directory were you in when you ran 'make'?
>
> - I assume that you went through the various items listed in the
> GEMPAK installation page:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/doc/install.html
>
> Is it possible that you skipped any steps?
>
> re:
> > I have consulted the past GEMPAK threads and found them to be of little
> > help on this
> > matter. Can you provide any assistance?
>
> Hopefully, the solution is as simple as changing the 'make' invocation --
> your output redirection above is incorrect.  If that is not the problem,
> my next guess is that you were in the wrong directory when you ran 'make';
> you have a configuration error in your Gemenviron or Gemenviron.profile;
> and/or
> you did not make the settings in your Gemenviron or Gemenviron.profile file
> active before attempting the build.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
> --
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program
> (303) 497-8642                                                 P.O. Box 3000
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307
> Unidata HomePage                       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: QBN-292365
Department: Support GEMPAK