[GEMPAK #ZJY-728084]: GEFS dcgrib2 question

Hi Nick,

I apologize for how long it took me to reply to your message.  I do not have an
answer for you off the top of my head, and would like to take a look at the
grib2 file you are using, and know the exact dcgrib2 command you are using for
the GEFS decoding.

At Unidata we are decoding the full GEFS into GEMPAK grid files without any
errors of the sort, so I'm not sure if you're doing something particular with
the grib file to only decode SLP, such as splitting it into a single message.
Please fill me in with as much detail as possible and I will look at this for
you.

If you can, please upload any grib2 files to the GEMPAK support repository
located at
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/alias/gempakuploads/
since this mailbox can not accept large file attachments.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Hi,
> I'm working with some TIGGE ensemble data for a period covering hurricane
> Sandy. I can easily convert the ECMWF ensemble data to GEMPAK with a line
> like "dcgrib2 -e ENSEXT=1 ecmwf_ens_%ens%_.gem < grib_file", which
> automatically creates separate gempak files for the various ensemble members
> contained within that grib_file. However, I ran into a problem with the GFS
> ensemble. Basically, I'm only interesting in outputting SLP, and I get an
> error like:
> [31915] 140129/1342[DECODE_GRIB2 -34] Could not determine parameter name 0 3
> 0 1 [0]
> [31915] 140129/1342[GB -31]  Could not open parameter table file
> g2varswmo5.tbl.
>
> Some fishing online told me to compare the 0 3 0 1 line in g2varswmo5.tbl to
> what wgrib2 says, but I don't see an obvious error.
>
> Here's an example of what wgrib2 says:
> 4:1560066:d=2012102312:PRES:mean sea level:6 hour fcst:ENS=+10
>
> And here's what the 0 3 0 1 line says in the table:
>
> D# CT# ID# PD# NAME                             UNITS                GNAM
>     SCALE   MISSING
> 000 003 000 001 Pressure                         Pa                   PRES
>         -2  -9999.00
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Nick