[GEMPAK #QYA-206571]: Embarassing Simple GINI format question, how to convert 8bit raster to actual data

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks, I should have been more specific that I was interested in the GINI
> GOES products on noaaport.  So I opened an example GOES EAST VIS file and
> octet 47 is 0 (Nav/Cal Information not include), sigh.
>
> Any ideas what the 'default' tables are for the GOES GINI products?

I didn't before but I do now!

All IR bands except WV use the same standard calibration outlined at
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR4.html

     T = 418 - B   (B>176 OR B=176)
     T = 330 - (B / 2)    (B<176 OR B=176)
 Where:
     T is the brightness temperature (degrees K).
     B is the pixel value (0 to 255).

The water vapor channel, I'm told, uses a different calibration range, but the
goes.noaa.gov site for WV mentions the same two-range formula
(http://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCWV1.html)

-Michael

Ticket ID: QYA-206571
Department: Support GEMPAK