[GEMPAK #JNF-270130]: GEMPAK 7.2 data

> First, I was wondering if GEMPAK can handle the HDF5 format.  All of
> the data I have available for this project is solely in HDF5.  Is there
> a decoder, or can the program handle the native format?  Unfortunately,
> I am used to GriB and NetCDF so HDF5 will also be a learning experience
> as well.

Hi Andrew,

GEMPAK is not able to read HDF5 data directly and has no HDF5 decoder.  I'm
afraid that computing and data storage has evolved further than GEMPAK can keep
up.  Grib messages are easily handled, so if you have a copy of your dataset in
grib format we can decode that into GEMPAK files.

I recommend reading through the Unidata netCDF FAQ on grib data:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#grib

There is also capability to convert between HDF and grib using wgrib2:
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/example_merra_2_grib2.html

Finally, it may be possible for me to import your HDF5 dataset into our
development AWIPS II server, where the data set could then be retrieved by
remote call in GEMPAK.  If this is something you are interested in exploring I
would need a copy of your dataset.

> Second, is there a user guide, or documentation, on how to use GEMPAK. I
> clicked on the link provided on the website:
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/help_and_documentation/manual/,
>
> but it appears to be dead.

Thank you for making me aware of the dead link.  I will forward it to the new
GEMPAK docs page
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/#doc

Michael James
Unidata