[GEMPAK #YQA-343282]: Understanding EET entry for nex2gini.tbl

> Hi Michael,
>
> Curiousity killing the cat here, but I feel like I should know the answer.
> I am curious about the EET nex2gini.tbl entry:
>
> EET        26    4 KFt,
>
> 0,1,-9999,-9995;
> 2,71,0,70;
> 72,129,-9999,-9999;
> 130,199,0,70
>
> TICZ99 CHIZ
>
> Why does index 130 to 199 appear with the same data range as 2 to 71 ?
>
> daryl

Hi Daryl,

EET consists of two data ranges within the 255 levels that correspond to
heights between 0 and 70k ft, the first being heights and the second being
"topped" heights, as described by the WSR-88D interface control document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6V6qoSOTLHTmvZNuE6LoXBw_JucJbboO2jzf-1XggZ8dW5YOe_1-F_Mz-ebAqaCmtqHH8p-uOrW-9HT/view?usp=sharing

---

Echo top data shall be flagged to indicate the “topped” condition,
meaning echo tops may be higher than indicated. A Topped condition results when
either the
reflectivity is greater than the threshold of 18 dBZ at the top elevation scan,
or when the value
immediately above an 18+ dBZ value is bad and no other values at higher
elevations are above
threshold. Additionally, two values shall be reserved for “no data” and “bad
data”. A sample bin is
flagged “bad data” if the reflectivity was edited by the DQA algorithm. The
value “no data” means
there are no reflectivity data above threshold at the location of the sample
bin. The flagged
conditions can not be “topped”.

Ticket ID: YQA-343282
Department: Support GEMPAK